March 12, 2013

There's no such thing as TOO busy

I decided about 2 weeks ago to restart my blog.  I haven't written anything in ages.  Parenthood tends to take up a bit of my time...  One might wonder why I would add one more thing (writing in my blog) to my already busy and hectic schedule.  I'm a Wife, a Mom, a Disciple, a full-time Legal Assistant, a part-time History major/Political Science minor, a Thirty-One Consultant, a blogger... and now a manufacturer of cloth diapers for my 10 1/2 month old son!

Yup!  I decided that it wasn't enough to take on the challenge of having Rowen wear cloth diapers... I had to make them myself.  Lets be honest.  Those of you who know me, know that I have no concept of relaxation.  The idea popped in my head and there was no stopping me.

I've heard so many positive things about cloth diapers, specifically that they help potty train early, and we have wanted to try them out for awhile.  All of the cloth diapers that I have found run $12 + tax, shipping and handling.  And that's if I can find them on sale.  I've also bought a few and even though the size chart says they will fit, they didn't.  To say the least, my cloth diaper trials have been frustrating.

I drove myself on over to JoAnn Fabrics last weekend and got to work.  Luckily there was an amazing lady named Kate working that night and she introduced me to the Babyville Boutique collection that they carry.  I bought myself a pattern, some adorable water resistant outer fabric, micro fleece inner fabric, terry cloth for the liners, fold over elastic, dual duty thread, and velcro.  I finished my first full diaper last night and all-in-all, it took me about 1 hour to complete.  Total cost: $7.50/diaper!

Check out my photos below to see my progress from start to finish:

Here are my liners.  Four layers of terry cloth cut 4.5" x 10.  I straight stitched around the edge first, then went over it with a zig zag stitch, then trimmed the frayed edges.

Here are my inner and outer layers with the velcro sewn on.

Here is my inner layer of micro fleece with the inner leg gussets sewn on with fold over elastic.

Finally, my finished diaper.  The terry cloth liner fits nicely in between, with removal on the sides.  I tried it on Rowen and it fits nicely!  Now I just have 11 more to make in my first batch.  Then we can try them out and see if I need to make more.