September 20, 2011

Personal Boundaries

What is the cure for a nosy person?  Some people are so nosy, they don’t realize they are being rude.  It’s in their nature to be that way and they don’t pick up on the subtle, and even not-so-subtle, hints that they are being rude.  They lack basic social skills, have few friends, and seem to think that making themselves part of someone else’s business gives them a sense of belonging and acceptance. 

But they always take it too far…  They have no concept of boundaries.  I have a coworker that is the epitome of nosiness.  I know I covered this a little bit in my recent etiquette blog, but this is more of a “vent” blog. 

I left early from work yesterday for a personal appointment.  My boss informed me today that as soon as I walked out the door, said coworker was out of her seat and in his office (keep in mind that my boss is not her boss, so this was even more out of line).  She proceeded to ask him where I was going and why.  Since my boss smartly knew my reason for being gone was (1) none of her business, (2) something I wasn’t sharing with the office, and (3) NONE OF HER DAMN BUSINESS, he lied to her.  I take a little bit of pride in the fact that he quickly conjured up a smart little lie!

Unfortunately, I will be gone for a lot of “personal appointments” in the next 6-7 months, one as soon as next Monday.  Since she is nosy, she is also naturally suspicious.  This means that she will probably accelerate to asking our other coworkers if they know why I’m leaving.  Two of them do know, but they know better.  They understand the obviously hard-to-grasp concept of personal boundaries.

I’m dreading the day when she confronts me personally.  I have this fabulous excuse now for chewing her out.  Hormones.  Who knows…?  Maybe she will finally take the hint and stay out of everyone’s business.

No comments:

Post a Comment