August 12, 2011

Just another sparkly vampire

I’m going to sound like a complete hypocrite writing this blog, but that’s okay.  I know that I am addicted to vampire novels and I also recognize how ridiculous and repetitious they all are.

For example...

Teenage girl meets sparkly “teenage” boy.
Girl falls madly in love with sparkly boy after two days.
Boy exhibits super human abilities while saving girls’ life.
Girl is oblivious.
Girl meets boys family.
Girls finds out sparkly boy is a vampire.
Girl immediately wants to be a vampire too.
Danger.
Drama.
Lots of heavy petting.
Girl becomes vampire.
The end.


Everyone assumes that Twilight was the original teenage vamp series and every other author just copied Stephanie Meyer.  Unfortunately, this is wrong.  Twilight was just the first to hit Hollywood. in a big way  I have read vamp novels by other authors that seem to have very similar plots and sequences of events, however, the copyright is years before Twilight was even published.  And at first I thought I wouldn’t enjoy these books because they seem so similar, but I’m obviously just addicted to vamp novels... as I previously stated.

I just recently finished reading the Argeneau series by Lynsay Sands, courtesy of my best friend’s library, and I loved every book.  Right now, I’m reading the My Blood Approves series by Amanda Hocking.  Just when I get to a point and think “Gosh, this is just like what happened to Edward and Bella!” the author twists the plot just enough and I get engrossed once again.

I don’t really understand the fascination with vamp novels.  There are 40 year old women that have fallen in love with Jacob Black and Edward Cullen.  These teens, and I emphasize TEENS, strut out on the screen with no shirt on and the women in the audience shriek like they just won the Publisher’s Clearinghouse sweepstakes. 

And I also don’t understand why we so easily accept these silly female characters.  These girls are clumsy and ridiculous, and then they just decide after meeting a new sparkly boy that they want to be bitten and then drink blood forever.  Why aren’t these girls afraid?  Didn’t their parents ever teach them not to talk to strangers?  Or not to walk down those dark alley ways alone?  Or to RUN away when someone is chasing them?!?!

Regardless, I will continue to read these vamp novels and I will continue to go see their Hollywood adaptations in the theater... even when I’m 40 and shrieking at the 17 year old hearthrob that is playing the sparkly vamp boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment